Friday, May 9, 2008

A Star is Born...




About three weeks ago, my roommate, who is an actor, told me that I should go to a casting for a commercial for the Spanish beer, San Miguel. I thought...hmm...what the heck. So I went. They took pictures, I smiled, laughed, and danced for the camera. It was great fun. However, the likelihood that they would be pick me was slim. So a few weeks passed and then I got a call...they wanted me...yes...me. I am an "actriz". Okay...so granted...it was just a "group role". Nonetheless, it was more than just an "extra" role.


The day of the filming I arrived to be recognized immediately, greeted by name, and whisked off to costume and make-up. I thought, "Hmmm...maybe I got a bigger part than I was thinking." It turns out that I had a secondary role, which meant that I got to eat at the "important people" breakfast table and was called by my name by the assistant director. The director spoke to the principal actors, the assistant director to me, and the assistant to the assistant to the extras. It's all very heirarchical. ha ha. This what-seemed-to-be elevation in role also means that they may have ripped me off with what I earned. However, as a working actress of the Argentine Association of Actors ;-o, I do have rights so if I appear in the commercial for more than just a passing shot, they may be obligated to reclassify me and pay me more.


I only have this one little photo of the scene of the commercial. I didn't want to take pictures and have people thinking that I was sort of amateur (eek)..ha ha. I needed to maintain my image you know. The funniest thing that happened was when the hair artist from Italy asked me if they had flown me in from the States to film the commercial. "yes, just in B.A. for the day then back to L.A." Just kidding...didn't really say that to him, but it was pretty flattering that he would think that.


So now I am getting photos taken and sending them out to agencies. Being in Buenos Aires is like being in NYC and L.A. at the same time. Lots of opportunity. Who knows...maybe I will be the next telenovela star?


What can I say... I've got to have some fun amist doing comparative discourse analyses on violence related to narcotrafficking in Mexico... :-)

Once the commercial appears on You Tube and my photos are on Freak Model.com, I will send you all the link.


Besos...

2 comments:

Sandy B. said...

This is AWESOME, Jane!!! I can't wait to see the final cut. When I was in Colombia in December, I got caught up in a telenovela for the week I was in Medellin. There was a gringo character on the show who rocked my world. I'm prepared to have it rocked again. Suerte!

Lisa G. said...

This is a fantastic story, Jane. I love that you are making the most of your time. I can't say that I am starring in any television commercials but life in Sweden is great. I defended my Master thesis on May 30, and I am super pleased with my results! My time as a R.A.S. is passing quickly but I am still thankful for every wonderful second.

Cheers,
Lisa Grotkowski