Monday, February 4, 2008

In the Beginning...

Argentina has aleady been an extremely interesting experience already. After 28 hours of flight from Portland to Denver to New York to Buenos Aires, I arrived in a surprisingly good mood to the International airport located on the outskirts of B.A. The first thing to hit me upon entering the city was...the noise. Yes, it´s loud, active, and home to about 3 million people in the core city and this doesn´t count the other millions that live in the suburbs. Let´s just say if I thought my hearing was bad before, it´s going to really really bad now. ha ha.



However, I am in love. This city is vibrant, friendly, safe, and very inviting. The family with which I live is extremely relaxed and they are obvious experts at hosting foreigners. All in all everything is going well. I do have what may be sad news for some of you. I am going to be staying for longer than I thought because the M.A. program changed so that we do our Applied Field Experience after completing all course work and thesis. Therefore, I will be moving to another country in June 2008 until September 30, 2009 to complete my internship. This is good in that I will now get my entire summer break (December 2008-February 2009) to conduct research for my thesis, host visitors, and take a little bit of vacation. ;-)



Okay...I have lots more, but little time right now...hasta pronto..

6 comments:

NoPoJo said...

Wow Jane. It sounds wonderful. You will thrive with this new environment I am sure. Where are you going to go in June. Do you come back to BA after that? Tell your readers what is up?
Cornelius

Unknown said...

What a wonderful adventure! I am sure the extended time has it's good and bad parts....looks like you won't be back in time to take over George SUN...oh well.

You are already missed and I am so happy for you to have this amazing experience. Any chance we can find a way for you to connect GMS kids with kids in BA?

All the best, Todd

Jane K said...

So sorry to to have left you hanging...my dear readers. Thank you, Cornelius, for calling me on my mysterious ways. In June, I am looking to move to some volatile country of the world...Haiti, Colombia, Iraq... Okay before everyone has a heart attack right on the spot, I plan to work as it relates to post-conflict development, etc. etc. so I am really undecided at this point. Suggestions gladly accepted. :-) Love, Jane

Unknown said...

Congrats, Jane! Looks great, and looks like you are doing what you love. Great to hear you are doing well....now, how long until you get into some mischief?

Unknown said...

OH, william = beto, er bret

Jane K said...

Beto!!! No worries...the mischief will be coming soon. :-) ha ha