Saturday, February 16, 2008

Inspiration from Argentine Artistas


I admit it. I wouldn't consider myself the art-museum-going kind of gal. However, I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the National Art Museum here in Buenos Aires. As part of the intensive Spanish course that I am taking, we had a guided tour of the Argentine art (and a subsequent essay due, of course). It was a fabulous way to see much of the history of Argentina. I took some pictures of some of my favorites. In particular, I loved the work of Xul Solar (1887-1963) whose art is so touching and thought-provoking that he has his own museum. Solar was more than just a painter. He was a musician, a linguist, an inventor, a yogi among other talented occupation. He always looked for ways of uniting ideas, artistic expressions, and people because he believed that human fraternity would be possible through this unity. The photo that I attached is of his piece Caldas Na Roca. The painting depicts cells that represent the division that exists among humans while the stairs are a symbol of spirtual ascension. However, I also think that the stairs are symbolic of potential progress in the quest for human unity. I am an optimist. I wouldn't be receiving a Master's in peace and conflict resolution if I wasn't. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the art picture! Glad to hear your optimism. The world needs more like you. It is great to see all that you are doing. Keep having fun.

Teara