Sunday, February 17, 2008

You want to see what????

First, let me begin by saying I fully support strong public health policies, but some just may be going overboard. With that said, let me tell you a little story about the public pool here in Buenos Aires. This has to be the funniest (and oddest) thing that has happened to me since being in Argentina.


You all know me...I love the water and frankly have been having withdrawls with it being so hot here. So on Saturday a couple of other students and I headed to the Parque Norte where there is huge complex with enormous wading pools and grassy places to sunbathe. Upon entering the complex, I overheard a woman saying "we have to wait here for the bus that takes us to the revisión ("check over" "revision"). Being ignorant of the ways of Argentine public pools, I really was uncertain what exactly a revisión entailed so I casually asked the woman about this "check". She states in a rather matter-of-fact tone, "the revisión médica...everyone has to be reviewed before entering the pool. My friends and I looked and each other and thought, "Oh boy".
We walked in curious fear until we arrived to this monstrosity of a building made of block and entered a huge hall that to our right had these signs plastered all over:

It says: Medical Check-- Present yourself showered and dried, hair down and dry, in only your bathing suit with pool ticket in hand.

Okey dokey...when in Rome....

We went to shower, careful to not wet our hair, looked ourselves over thinking..."I hope I pass." We got in line with the other half-naked women and waited our turn to go in. The Medical Check room basically had 10 nurses along a wall with a little table and some odds and ends at each "Medical Station". My turn came...this is what she told me:

"Come foward. Place your left foot on the stool. Spread your toes with your fingers. Put your other foot up and do the same." By this time, I am practically cracking up...it this real? Just to flit around in a pool?

It continues...she says, "Now raise your arms."...uh okay...




Next she tells me to bend over so she can pick through my hair.


At this point, I'm practically in hysterics b/c this is so bizarre and think that I am finished with my revisión when she sort of nods towards my bikini bottoms. I give her the "You want to see what?" look and, yes, then had to lift my bikini bottoms to the side. Uh...is this considered invasion of privacy?
The check finally ended and I received my "Medical Check approval"


Thank goodness..I could enter the pool finally.

We all left laughing and feeling just a tad bit disturbed and violated by the whole process. But, what the heck, we were at the pool so we had a great time. They have group aerobics in these massive pools in which 200 people simulteanously do a routine for 15 minutes. It doesn't get much more fun than this!!!!

.

It just keeps getting better and better...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pool fascists! You see. The took this whole 'Dirty Wars' thing way too seriously.
-cornelius

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Well all I can say is, I hope you shaved! And, these "nurses" must have some amazing eyes, to be able to "see" if you have anything that's passable in a pool. Good grief!

talk to ya later love ya,

Summer the great, or you know your sister. ;0)

Leanne said...

OMG, wow...Janie May, of everyone I know-you are probably the one I least see letting someone see your business to get in a pool...LOL!! I'm with Summer here, hope you shaved or they were prolly looking through your business with that pen parting through your hair to make sure you didnt have bugs!! I am seriously cracking up right now!! All I can say is....better you then me!!

XOXO,
Leanne