Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Some Fun Observations...

During my first days in Argentina, I have made some cultural and other observations that are neither good nor bad...just observations. :-)


**Children live with parents for a lot longer here than in the U.S. This is actually quite common in Latin America as many of you well know. The family with which I am living consists of Sylvia (mom), Gustavo (Dad), Soledad (Daughter 26 years old), Augustín (Son 32 years old), Ro (Daugther-in-law unspecified age), and Brittany (undergraduate student studying Spanish who is a saint b/c she bought the wi-fi router today that is allowing me to get my blog and up and running at this very moment). The reasons for such prolonged stays in the parent's home is both cultural and economic.

**Dinner is served late! Like 10:30 p.m. late. Let's just say chicken legs with potatoes never tasted as good as they did for my first dinner in Argentina last Friday night. I seem to be adjusting by going to bed around 1:30 a.m. and getting up around 9:30 a.m. This is just how it will be given all of my classes will take place from 5:30-9:30 p.m. starting in March. Good-bye are the days are being an early bird.


**Buenos Aires is very safe. Because it is summer here, tons of people are out on the streets until 1 or 2 in the morning. It's so lovely being able to take a walk after eating at 10:30 p.m. and not have anything to worry about. The feeling of safety is very refreshing after having lived in Guatemala. Of course, I am careful like I would be in any big city. (Don't worry...I am not just meandering in la la land down the street). However, the tension and paranoia that I constantly felt in Guatemala City is not here.


**People love dogs..dogs everywhere...as are their droppings. I read about this and was actually warned about watching out for the dog poo, but didn't believe it until I saw it first hand. Yuk. Ha ha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay girl dont make me have to come down there...lol...I cant imagine you getting up at 9:30am instead of 5ish :). I miss you and hope you are doing well. It seems very interesting so far. I wish you all the best....oh yeah Im having a boy!
Crystal

Anonymous said...

doggie poo and midnight dinners sound very much like life in Spain! I'm excited to hear that you may have some vacation time. Will you come home? We miss you!